Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's TaleThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

With all the buzz about the new Hulu series, I knew I had to read the book before I could watch any of it so I finally made the time and wow, this book is incredibly disturbing. The future that Margaret Atwood describes is horrifying, and her depiction of the personal story of one of handmaids, Offred, is both poignant and shocking. The ability of the regime to break down social barriers so quickly, and regress women to a state of only being worthwhile as long as they can bear children is frightening. This dystopian future is the stuff of nightmares, and Atwood's ability to share the emotional struggle of the handmaids is phenomenal. It is hard to say I would recommend this book, because I think only certain audiences would truly appreciate the depth of emotion and the nuance that fills these pages. Atwood is brilliant and a future where handmaids are possible should be terrifying to all of us.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment