Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens

The Life We BuryThe Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Chosen by my book club, I really enjoyed this book. The story instantly draws you in with the main character Joe Talbert, who is a likable college student dealing with more than his fair share of struggles in life. Joe winds up in an english class in college that requires him to wrote a biography. He decides to stop at a local nursing home to find someone to write about, and there he meets Carl Iverson, a convicted murderer who is dying from cancer. Joe and Carl begin to develop a relationship, and as Joe does more research to learn about Carl for his assignment, he begins to believe in Carl's innocence. Struggling with a selfish, alcoholic mother, a younger brother who is autistic, and a beautiful but distant next door neighbor, Joe and Lila, his neighbor, begin to unravel clues in the decades old case that may be able to clear Carl's name before he dies. Although I had a strong sense of where the story was headed, the book is fast paced and has a few twists and turns, which kept my attention. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment