Friday, October 9, 2015

All My Love, Detrick by Roberta Kagan

All My Love, DetrickAll My Love, Detrick by Roberta Kagan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I enjoy historical fiction, but I struggled to finish this book. There were some good moments, but in general the story was predictable and the characters were so obviously one-dimensional. The story seemed chaotic at times, jumping from one character to another, and while the author attempted to include many historical facts, much of the writing showed a lack of historical understanding. The story is centered around Detrick and Leah, and their forbidden romance. Detrick is described as a perfect Aryan looking blue-eyed blond-haired man and Leah is a jewish girl with waif-like beauty. Their romance felt contrived and not really genuine. I really wanted to give more stars for the idea of the book, but it felt so disjointed at times. The author attempted to include historical facts but often they were placed awkwardly in chapters and disrupted the flow of the book. The story seemed to bounce around from character to character with no discernible pattern and several characters were simply dropped without an ending. I'm sorry to say that I would not highly recommend this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment