Monday, April 27, 2015

The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner

The Next Best ThingThe Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Although I did enjoy parts of this novel about a young scriptwriter named Ruth who lives with her Grandma in Hollywood, I found many of the characters flat and hard to relate to. Looking at the cover I was expecting a light beach read, but this was not a light fluffy story at all. Ruth is very insecure due to facial scars from a terrible accident that she was in as a child, which left her parent dead causing her to be raised by her grandmother. Much of the story revolves around Ruth's poor self esteem, leading to some romantic disasters, but Ruth is a smart talented writer who submits a script for a television show that is chosen by network executives. Ruth quickly learns that she must compromise to make the show, but she isn't happy with the artistic direction her show has taken. Throughout much of the book, I felt like the author wanted me to feel sorry for Ruth, but instead I felt like Ruth was being whiney and spoiled. For me this book was not 'the next best thing'

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment