Thursday, January 27, 2022

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

 

Lessons in ChemistryLessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I wanted to like this book, it started well with two interesting characters who captured my attention, but then very quickly the story took a strange turn; one of the main characters is killed off and this is where I felt the story went off the rails.
The book is centered on Elizabeth Zott, a chemist, who faces challenges and struggles both professionally and personally. Elizabeth is an uncompromising scientist, but as a woman in the 1950's she is not respected, and often taken advantage of. Out of necessity, Elizabeth winds up hosting a daily cooking show that she turns into a chemistry classroom, teaching not only chemistry but also self-esteem to her many female viewers.
There were parts of the story that I enjoyed, especially the way the author included the viewpoint of the dog, but overall I felt the story was chaotic.

Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to review an advance reader copy of this book.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. What a great web blog . I like this blog because of its design and interface. Private tutor Ocala

    ReplyDelete