Thursday, May 20, 2021

Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner

 

Mrs. EverythingMrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am struggling to rate this story because although I enjoyed the writing, this story of two sisters as they grew was boring and so morose at times. The main characters, sisters Jo and Bethie both struggle to find themselves. Jo struggles with having feelings for other girls, but she winds up settling for a life with marriage and children. Bethie is molested by an uncle in her teens and struggles to overcome the damage done to her self-worth. Both girls are resilient and eventually do find their own way to happiness. My main challenge with this book is the length, and the fact that it is so steeped in sadness and conflict. Simply put this book was depressing to read. Unlike most stories with a clear story arc, this story simply followed the girls from adolescence to adulthood and through their lives. I typically enjoy historical fiction but this book just didn't hit the mark for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment