Friday, January 15, 2021

The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi

 

The Henna ArtistThe Henna Artist by Alka Joshi
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A beautifully written look at the role of women in India during the 1950's and I really enjoyed it. The main character was so likable, facing hardship and adversity that was so common for women at that time. I really loved the way the author introduced Indian culture and foods and gave us such a unique perspective of the customs and culture through the strong characters. As Lakshmi works on building her henna business for the wealthy women of Jaipur and earning enough money to purchase her own home, her life is thrown into turmoil when her younger sister arrives. Lakshmi did not even realize she had a younger sister until Radha arrives at her door. The bonds of love will be tested as Lakshmi and her sister Radha must navigate the rules of society for women of their caste, and ultimately discover who they were meant to be. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like one I'd like. I'm currently reading Caste by Isabel Wilkerson and learning a lot about India, even though I'm reading it to learn about the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really know a lot about India and I felt like I learned so much just by reading this.

      Delete