Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African ChildhoodBorn a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have had this book on my to read list for awhile, and I am glad I took the time to finally read it. Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood was insightful and honest. I was amazed and horrified to realize that Apartheid still ruled in South Africa until 1991. Trevor's childhood was such a combination of love and anguish, it gives me such a different view of him as a person and a comedian. This book is a quick read, Trevor uses humor and brutal honesty to share the story of his life and those around him. His descriptions of life in South Africa both during and after Apartheid are shocking and very eye-opening. The institutional racism and sexism was evident throughout the the stories, which made it almost hard to read at times. His mother sounds like an incredible person, despite all of the hardships she went through and I have no doubt she is a big part of why Trevor is so successful now. Much more than just a biography, this book should be required reading for everyone for the light it sheds on racism and its lasting effects on a community of people. I highly recommend this book.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. This book is on my "must read when I have time" list. I love Trevor Noah; I hope to be able to see him perform live one day. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book will make you appreciate him even more. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to put this on my 'need to read' list. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really interesting, thanks for stopping by

      Delete